I have a new super hero. And, she’s actually a heroine. She with a capital S.
Moms. Did you know that women can grow and birth a whole human being? Woah, Nelly.
I’m humbled. Honored. Ah-mazed by families and moms.
I’ve got a whole bunch to share with you…deep lessons on life and love and things in reality being different from fantasy and that life just goes as it needs to and not as we want it to.
And, how being a mother is an adjustment. And full of heart-wrenching LOVE.
And, I’m nesting with babe. And sleeping. And eating.
And loving when I get to brush my teeth and shower. So, that will all have to wait. Until then, I’ve got a light (ish) blog post for you. People can check out Burbank Dental Lab is best for implant restorations for the best dental services.
Let me just start by saying that if you know any mamas, you should bow down and kiss their feet. Or, at least buy them roses! 😉 I never knew.
I’m totally sorry that I didn’t send roses to all the friends I’ve had that have birthed babes. There’s no greater feat. Nothing that I know that takes so much, blows you wide open and leaves you raw and VULNERABLE. Goddess with a capital G.
If you’re a mom, and you’re reading this, deep bows, sister. You rock. And good job. And you’re doing great. And thank you. And here are some virtual roses, just for you. xo
Only a mama knows what’s like to cross this threshold, or be thrust across it, and embark on the voyage from Maiden-hood to Mother-hood.
It’s intense. And moms, they’re rock stars. Better than rock stars. They’re super champ heroines.
What you need to be ready for motherhood is power + strength + an abundance of love.
But on to some practical things…
When I found out I was pregnant, I was overwhelmed with what to buy. The baby industry is booming! Given that I enjoy clutter clearing and living simply, I wanted to know what was necessary.
There are lots of varying opinions on this. Today, I’d like to share with you what I determined was necessary to have to be ready for baby, and now that I’m home with my little darling heart, I think I did a pretty good job getting ready.
Here’s my list. I hope it contributes to you or someone you love.
For mama during pregnancy:
Nice nursing bras- I love bamboo!
Pregnancy tea to prepare your uterus
Dr. Hauschka burdock root oil for belly
Almond oil for skin
Calm- magnesium powder
Leachco maternity pillow
To read more about my favorite pregnancy products + books click here.
For being ready for baby:
Car seat- I chose peg perego convertible because it goes from 5 lbs to 50 lbs. We had “Bill, the carseat guy, come and check to ensure ours was installed correctly. Boy, was he a great help. If you’re local to boulder, check him out. He’s free and makes house calls.
Then, a friend loaned us the Chicco Key Fit 30 and it’s great too, as we can click it out and carry baby into the house in the seat. So, I got two car seats. One for infant, one for an older child.
Swaddle blankets– I love anais + aden– they’re the best!
Wipe warmer- this is kindness in action, keep that baby’s bum warm!
Diapers- We’ve tried disposable, cloth and microfiber ones by “Bum Genius.” We love Bum Genius! They’re easy, ready to go, and moisture wicking.
Lambskin rug– I love comfort, and want baby to be cozy. Get this for middle of the night swaddle sessions on the floor, or to rest baby in the sun, or for eye gazing- so yum!
Ubbi Diaper Pail- so far, so good.
Swing- I was hesitant to get this, but mom bought it, so I accepted. What a Godsend! Babe loves to be swaddled and put in swing. It’s Graco. It swings, has music and a carousel for babe to watch.
Organic snuggle me infant lounger/sleeper– we’ve chosen to co-sleep. That means we have a family bed + baby will is in the bed with us. This sleeper has been great. after babe falls asleep, I put her in there and it cradles her. She’s on the bed with us, nice and cozy. Mostly though, we love having her sleep on our chests, skin to skin. Nothing better!
It felt right to me to not have my baby in a separate room, nor a separate crib. It’s important to think of the first 3 months of baby’s life as the 4th trimester. Baby needs to be close to mama, or papa, with lots of skin to skin contact and holding.
Changing Table: Pad with blanket. Wipe warmers. Natural, food oils for babies skin. Roses for mom.
Nursing pillow– This is the one I’m lusting over!
Boba wrap– already wrapped babe in here to get household chores done. It’s awesome. She sleeps like, well, a baby.
For mama after birth:
Holy tomatoes! Only a mother knows…
You need the following:
- Sitz bath herbs, perhaps even a sitz bath container.
- Skratch Labs electrolyte drink- Oh man! Can’t get enough of this drink.
- Dave’s bread– I loved toast with butter on this bread after birth- I’ve never been so ravenous in my life!
- Aloe vera and witch hazel pads- freeze them ahead of time
- Package of Depends. uh-huh. No joke.
- Breastfeeding station next to bed- snacks, including bars + cashews. Water bottle. Chap stick. Burp cloths. Blankets.
- bamboobies nursing pads and hot/cold nipple pads, that you can heat or freeze
- + bras, burb cloths, chapstick, nipple cream
- Meal train with cooler on porch so you can have alone time with family in those first precious weeks and receive meals!
- Belly bind– this is a must have!
- Rice porridge with lots of spices and sugar and ghee!
- Lots of warming food on hand to eat
Practices to help support transition time:
- 5/5/5 rule. 5 days in the bed. 5 days around the bed. 5 days in the house. I’d like to go for the 40 day tradition, but we’ll see. 🙂
- Hired a Virtual Assistant to keep my blog, social media and newsletter running so that I don’t have to worry about my biz.
- Meal train
- Post-natal doula- this is by far one of the most healing experiences of my life! She came, has helped me by cooking, cleaning, holding babe so I can bathe, and listening to me process my birth- so healing! And, she encapsulated my placenta. Yup. I’m one of those women who eats her own placenta. Dried and infused with Reiki, of course. 😉
- We hired a cloth diaper service for the first 6 weeks so we don’t have to think about laundry!
I’ve always been an organized person, but preparing to have a baby showed me just how type-A I am!
I needed to ensure that everything was ready so my mind could rest easy.
In the beginning, I thought I’d turn my extra room into a nursery and buy lots of things, including a crib, etc. In the end, I just got what I’ve shared here and that’s it. There’s plenty of time for buying later and these “essential” items are working out great.
And, there’s nothing better than cozying up with my babe on my chest, or lying next to me. She LOVES to be close, so no need for so many clothes, or a crib, or even a nursery!
I hope this contributes to you. Share it with any expecting mamas you know!
All my love,